Check the body work. not great but will pass for now.
This blog is to cover out progress through the stages of the strip down and rebuild of a robin hood kit car.
Started the blog a bit late as a fair bit of the stripdown has already been done, this is to follow our progress of the build.
as you can see im not the best at filler and painting but does not look bad.
This is what the car & colour looked like before starting, (minus the rear wings)
Note the stainless between the nose and the suspension components, this is being removed and re fabricated in GRP
Off comes the nose cone
The stainless is more visible now to the right and through the nose, it's fit was quite poor so we have created a better fitting template from steel to use to cut the GRP when its been fabricated by Neal.
Here is the first stage of GRP matting applied over the old stainless
After several more layers were added, the old stainless was removed and the whole lot strengthened from inside by layering more matting. The lower piece of stainless was retained and glassed in to give some good mounting points and extra strength.
Neal sanding down the matting ready for body filler
Applying the body filler
Now we've run out of filler so cant continue for the time being....
Neal had already fitted some insulation to the inner part of the car, and now it was time to fit the carpets and the checkerplate wear plates, we also fitted a sheet of aluminium to the tunnel to the left of the clutch pedal in order to eliminate wear on the carpet.
Before and During (minus the checkerplate)
Neal measuring the floor plate
The finished article, the plate is riveted through the carpet into the stainless floorpan, as is the clutch wear plate to the left of the pedal, which can be seen here.
For some reason I managed to use a whole can of spray paint and not even get it fully coated, not sure why that was....
Had to relocate the fuel feed pipe as the existing hole was right next to the strengthening beam (can just see it to the left of the drill) so we relocated and shortened the pipe, and also properly grommetted the hole.
All fitted and bolted up, note the new fuel pipe hole
We found some steel channel and used that to fabricate a H section that was secured to the inner wings and the rear panel, and bolted through into the diff mount.
This has tightened up the whole bootfloor and diff mount.
The spraying job wasn't too brilliant I must say, but then again I'm not that great at painting.
Fabricating of the diff strengthener:
Test fitment into the car...
I didn't actually do much to be fair, I was working in a supervisory capability, and as usual informing Neal on the correct way to apply the glue, to which he took his usual action of humouring but also ignoring me...
The half completed heat shielding.
I also filled and ground down the headlight brackets as they had some pinholes in the welding, with Neal's 4" grinder with a 9" disc in it, meaning the disc is skimming your knuckles as you hold the grinder body.
Oh and did I mention no safety guard either... ooops!
Next is the mounting of the servo and pedal box I reckon!
Here are few of the older pics of the car before the major overhaul started. I had this idea in my head that all was needed was a little tweak here and there and would have this car on the road in no time. How wrong was I, thanks to the help of great friends (Stu and Christian) I am managing to get this car back on the road where it belongs indeed with a slightly higher budget than was initially anticipated I dread to think what the overall cost is going to be.
Here are some before and after Pics.
Drum Brakes just don’t look as good as a nice set of discs and calipers under a wheel, also I hope this will help with the stopping.
Look at the home made coilovers the horrible squeaks drove me mad let’s hope the nice new GAZ ones don’t.
We took the old headlight brackets, cut them down and welded up the old mounting holes so that the new headlights bought yesterday can be fitted.
All we need to do now is grind up the welds to highlight any pin holes then fill them (we didn't have an angle grinder with us) and then shot blast them ready for painting.
I also fitted the new steering rack gaiters & mounted the new handbrake lever on the transmission tunnel.
Neal and I then took the steering column out as the bushes at the bottom are worn out and we also need to modify the column to take the quick release wheel which Neal wants.
We seem to be removing more and more from the car, and less is going back on....
It would appear that Neal also managed to rope Stu into doing some "work" also.
We then decided to have a look at where the handbrake lever would be positioned, and in order to do that, Neal decided that he would need to test fit a seat and have a feel....